Thursday, August 7, 2008

me, skeptical?

One of the questions Paul, our trip co-ordinator, asked to me consider is "how skeptical are you about development?" Well, not that skeptical. I did laugh during the Sally Struthers episode of Southpark, but my laughter didn't have a mean or bitter edge! Besides, I know my answer to that question will change during the study tour, and I'll have a new and improved position on development once I return. But for now, I must admit my position is one of suspended hope. I want to see good things happening. I want to know that improving people's lives is possible, and that these improvements are sustainable. But, isn't there always more bad news than good news? For every good beginning it seems there are a thousand unfortunate endings. On the one hand there are our efforts, and on the other hand there are wars, natural disasters, and impossible political situations all bound up and tied together with reams and reams of silky red tape.

Last April I attended a forum on International Development hosted by U of M's World W.I.S.E. Resource Centre, and I left with all sorts of contradicting thoughts fighting for space in my exam-weary brain. As I listened to the expert panel speak of their frustrations with humanitarian work; how slow things move, how funds are mismanaged, how volunteers themselves can become part of the problem, I felt like letting out a very loud, very resigned sigh. But, I must say I left that forum with a little more drive than I had before. Looking into the faces of each of the speakers I wondered what makes them do this work, and what makes them keep doing it - so doggedly and with so much zeal? It must be worth it. Most people I've met who are seasoned in the art of humanitarian action are optimists. Not airy-fairy head-in-the-clouds optimists, but very grounded, almost sombre optimists. they know the facts, and yet they continue. 

Perhaps I sound grim. I should not forget the promise of joy. And yes, I believe there is a joy to be found in a life of working for others. A very personal, deep, abiding joy. Just after New Years I was at a Christian Conference in Toronto, where it seemed like everyone and their dog was building an orphanage or digging wells in Africa. And it was obvious to me that they knew something I didn't. 

1 comment:

Heidi Phillips said...

That's great you are going virtual and have a blog!
Now it won't even be like you're away...
Looking forward to reading all about Africa.